Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Jen A 3/19/12


My first day at John Bartram High School was not what I expected. I had learned about schools like John Bartram through my education classes and through readings and discussions for the trip, however, I don’t think I processed the information until I began to experience it first-hand at John Bartram High School. I was shocked by the number of students on their cell phones during class, walking into class late, leaving class early, and speaking disrespectfully to their teachers.  I was also surprised to find how frustrated and apathetic some of the teachers had become. I was amazed to find out that most students have jobs in addition to school.
One question I am interested in exploring this week is why the students are not performing well and sometimes appear or act unmotivated. I think it is easy to immediately blame teachers and call the students lazy and unmotivated as explanations for the failing scores of many students and the high dropout rate. However, I am learning that so many other factors contribute to my students’ inability to learn including the racial discrimination they may face, the poverty in which many of them live, their parents who are not encouraging, and their need to work to help their family financially.
 It makes me sad to see students with so much potential and who are incredibly intelligent and do not have the economic means to go to college. Schools were created to educate students and provide everyone with an equal opportunity in life; however, schools are only perpetuating the inequalities and failing to provide for the students needs.
I hope we are able to impact these students throughout the week and encourage them to continue trying hard and striving for a better life because they definitely deserve better than what they have right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment