Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Melanie 3/20/12


The importance of personal attention

Is it possible to be an effective teacher to a group of 20 or more people?

After helping students prepare for an upcoming test in Ms. Adam’s English class, I’m beginning to think it’s highly ineffective.

I had difficulty getting three students to not only do their assignments, but to understand what they were reading. Some students were tired or stressed. Some were coming back from extended absences, and some just didn’t care.

How can one person address all these issues for one student, let alone 20?  It can’t be possible.

There are about seven AB members helping out in Ms. Adam’s English class, and it’s still a struggle to get students to do their work properly.  Considering that this is a lower-level English class, this is a huge problem.

As an America Reads mentor, I’m used to working one-on-one with students. Not only am I able to address their academic needs, I’m also able to make personal connections with the students. If I had to oversee 20 students, I know for a fact that not everybody would get the ideal amount of attention.

I feel frustrated and discouraged that after we leave, these students will most likely revert back to poor work habits. I can think of a few solutions to this lack of attention, but realistically, there’s no money to create a program that partners students with mentors who care.

And just how I felt on the first day at JBHS, I feel completely useless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment